Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Most Beautiful Sea

To celebrate my maiden voyage into the blogosphere, I'll share a song that was instrumental (pun intended) in convincing me to leave everything behind for life on a Greek island.

The most beautiful sea is the one
we haven't sailed yet
The most beautiful child hasn't grown yet

The most beautiful days
The most beautiful days of ours, we haven't lived them yet
We haven't lived them yet

And what's more beautiful,
And what's more beautiful I would like to tell you
I haven't told you yet, I haven't told you yet...*

En güzel deniz:
henüz gidilmemiş olanıdır,
En güzel çocuk:
henüz büyümedi.
En güzel günlerimiz:
henüz yaşamadiklarımız,
Ve sana söylemek istedigim en güzel söz:
henüz söylememiş olduğum sözdür...

These exceptionally lovely lines were written by the Turkish poet Nazim Hikmet in 1945.  Several decades later they were translated into Greek by the poet Giannis Ritsos and made into a song by the Greek composer Manos Loizos.

The Most Beautiful Sea is from Loizos' album of songs inspired by the poetry of Hikmet entitled "Grammata stin Agapimeni" (Letters to the Beloved). I hope you enjoy it!

*my translation from the Greek version







Η πιο όμορφη θάλασσα είναι αυτή
που δεν την αρμενίσαμε ακόμα.
Το πιο όμορφο παιδί δε μεγάλωσε ακόμα.

Τις πιο όμορφες μέρες,
τις πιο όμορφες μέρες μας, δεν τις ζήσαμε ακόμα.
Δεν τις ζήσαμε ακόμα.

Κι ό, τι πιο όμορφο,
Κι ό, τι πιο όμορφο θα 'θελα να σου πω,
Δε στο 'πα ακόμα, δε στο 'πα ακόμα.

No comments:

Post a Comment